Chalet Vintage Collectors Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT!

4 posters

Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT!

Post  emijac Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 am

I am a new member as I have never even heard about Chalet glass until...I bought a piece at an auction this week. I am opening an antique store this spring and have been attending quite a few auctions. This little guy caught my eye, and now I don't think I want to sell him!
I would like to know if it is indeed Chalet glass, and what would the approximate value be on it? It is a mouse I believe and is green/blue in color and he stands about 5-6" to the tip of his nose. There are the words Chalet written in script and Canada on the bottom. He has a few bubbles throughout.
Thanks for any help!
Emijac

emijac

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty piece

Post  deborah Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Emijac,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that Chalet has captured another fan - watch out though as collecting it becomes addictive.

Could you post a picture of your Chalet "mouse"? Many of the Chalet animals are really hard to identify - for example, what I had always thought of as a Chalet "rubber ducky" turned out to be a chick. I have some catalog pages with alot of the animals on them so I can probably help you out re catalog number, rarity etc. However, to my knowledge, Chalet did not do a mouse in their Canadiana Wildlife series (most of the 2 tone animals are from that line) so a pic would help identify your figurine. You can post a picture of your piece directly to the forum - see "Host an Image" function tab above.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty Thanks

Post  emijac Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, I can't figure out how to post a picture? Well I really hope I bought the real thing!
Emijac

emijac

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty Re: Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT!

Post  emijac Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 pm

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

Ok I think I figured it out!

emijac

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty yup - the real thing

Post  deborah Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Emijac,

Your animal figurine is a Chalet wolf - catalog number #667 and it is from the Canadiana Wildlife series -- pieces could be stickered, etched or given hang tag. The picture below is page 31 from the "Shapes & Colours of Chalet Art Glass" book and shows a grouping of animals from this series (missing the penguin, seal, squirrel and rabbit). You can see the wolf in the picture is stickered and it also shows the hang tag on the buffle head duck. The wolf is relatively scarce. Not as rare as the musk ox or bison or penguin but certainly not plentiful.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Glassman has a post "Chalet seal" that shows the seal and listing 3120681966480 on e-bay is the rabbit. I have a penguin and squirrel that will be getting photographed soon and will post - please take note that e-bay listing #230729875270 IS NOT the penguin but a very common owl. There is both a bison and musk ox in the "Sold Inventory" section of the site "shop" pages.

Chalet also did crystal animal figurines for Riekes and elephants galore!

Posting pics here is a pain the first time but you sure figured it out quickly!

Deborah

Last edited by deborah on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty Oh MY!

Post  emijac Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Oh my goodness! I just saw the same item posted on ebay for $298.00! Is that a fair price? Wow, not bad for a $30.00 buy! I think I will keep it now! Thanks soooo much for all the help, you are so very knowledgable!

emijac

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty glad to help

Post  deborah Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi again,

No problem - looking forward to seeing your collection grow. I will post pictures of the penguin when I get them shot as very, very rare. There is also a weird "oopick" little guy but I have only ever seen a picture. Doesn't look very big and I think it is pure crystal as even in the black and white catalog photo - doesn't appear to have been coloured.

I think the e-bay listing price is a bit high - but certainly $150-$180 wouldn't be farfetched.

Deborah

Last edited by deborah on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty Ookpik

Post  cwms Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Deborah, is this what you mean by an Ookpik?

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! IMGP6965

cwms

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty ookpik 1 and ookpik 2?

Post  deborah Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi there,

I love the piece you posted- just saw one on e-bay but you don't see them very often. I have no idea what that piece is called but it looks more like an ookpik than the one I was thinking of. See the scan of information that Mario P provided - I was referring to the very small figurine on the left in the second row - looks 2 tone? I have no idea what it is and just called it an ookpik. Have you ever seen anything like it?

Deborah

Last edited by deborah on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty I gotta squirrel!

Post  queenoftheroad Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:52 am

Hello!
Emijac...I love your wolf!
I've been coming accross animals here and there. This is my most recent acquisition. He's not signed but he's Chalet.
I have a beautiful little bird and another clear goose with two wings spread. Deborah...I think he's part of Riekes? He's marked Chalet but nothing else...
What do you think?

queenoftheroad
queenoftheroad

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty Hi queen!

Post  deborah Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:38 am

Hey,

Yes - the clear animal series were made for Riekes. There were quite a few poses with the geese. Geese were also done for the Canadian Wildlife series. I love this picture - had one from each line and they look amazing together.

Your most recent acquistion is the squirrel.

Check out the pic of in the new post I am going to do - Chalet or Lorraine 2 twinned animal figurine.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT! Empty Re: Found my first piece of Chalet glass...LOVE IT!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down