Chalet Vintage Collectors Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chalet or czech?

4 posters

Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty Chalet or czech?

Post  langhaugh Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:55 am

Hi:

I bought this thinking it was Czech but I'm beginning to think it might be Chalet. It's huge, 22" long, and heavy. Looking back, I bought it from Hilltop Antiques, who are knowledgeable about Chalet, but who called this Murano. What do people think?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

David

langhaugh

Back to top Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty Re Chalet or czech?

Post  vanvol Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:59 am

I saw one just like it yesterday at the Southworks Antiques in Cambridge which houses over 125 dealers.
I decided that it was a Murano piece. I collect some pieces of nice Murano glass. I have two very nice glass clowns that were made in Murano.

Richard

vanvol

Back to top Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty Re Southworks Antiques

Post  vanvol Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:07 pm

David
In the area that I I live in there are 10 large antique markets like the Southworks Antique Market. Six of them are open seven days a week. The others are closed Monday and Tuesday. There is a Christie Antique Show in May and one in September. It is an open outdoor show. There are more than 300 dealers there that almost cover 10 acres. From the first of May till the end of September the Aberfoyle Antique Market is open covering 20 acres dotted with cabins, stalls and barns. Mizener's Antique & Flea Market is open Sundays year round. All of these antique outlets are with in a one hour drive for me to go to. I am retired so I keep very busy going to these places to see what glass I can find for my glass collection. It also is good exercise for me.

vanvol

Back to top Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty Re: Chalet or czech?

Post  Langhaug Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Richard:

I envy you all those antique stores. Search parties would have to be sent out for me. Vancouver has far slimmer pickings.

Thanks for comment. I appreciate what you say about Murano, which is what the seller said it was, but I'm pretty sure it's not Murano. I've got a reasonable Murano collection of about 150 pieces and it just doesn't fit in. It's very close to some Czech pieces from Skrdlovice but not quite, at least in comparison to any of the pieces that have turned up in Europe. That, and seeing some Chalet of a similar colour, is what led me to thinking it might be Chalet.

Here's some links to a similar piece I have.

David

Langhaug

Back to top Go down

Post  L Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Sorry. The links I promised in the previous post didn't show up. Here they are.

L

Back to top Go down

Post  Langhaug Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Help. Links don't seem to be showing up when a reply is posted.

David

Langhaug

Back to top Go down

Post  langhaugh Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:26 pm

Sorry: I wasn't signed in, so I was allowed to post but not to post links.

Here they are now.

David

langhaugh

Back to top Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty Danish

Post  Glassman Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:53 am

I think it's probably a Danish piece,i have seen Chalet close to that as well,but the colours are usually darker.Either way thats a killer piece i love it.It's part of the mystery we will never know for sure.

Glassman

Back to top Go down

Post  langhaugh Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:10 am

Danish is an interesting idea. As I'm sure it's not Holmegaard, is there another Danish company you can suggest?

David

langhaugh

Back to top Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty another maker to consider

Post  deborah Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi guys,

Could also be Lorraine - I just got a Lorraine catalog and guess what - they did this "modern" style too- I am looking at a piece that is so much like it but in a different colour combo. I am sending it to Darlene so we can freak togetherLOL. Will let you know what she thinks.

Deborah

Hi again,

Just below that piece like yours David is another piece in exactly the blue green colour combo of your bowl. I sent the catalogue to Darlene and she thinks high possibility of it being Lorraine as well. Looks like their "modern" Swedish line was much thicker than the Chalet Swedish/Danish/modern look.

Drat them all I say for not using base marks on everything! But - where would the fun be eh? We wouldn't get to do as much "research" and I would get in much more trouble as would not have that excuse for the "hunt"

Deborah again

Last edited by deborah on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new info)
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty Danish

Post  Glassman Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 pm

No i will have to look at my art glass book,i lent it out.It could be Loraine or Chalet.My guess would be Danish because of the size and colouring.It has lots of clear.There is no way to know for sure.I don't know why all these companys couldn't sign the glass.

Glassman

Back to top Go down

Post  langhaugh Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:38 pm

I agree about signing glass. Some of the adventure would be lost but I think I could live with that.

I was scanning eBay yesterday and came across this console bowl. The description says signed Chalet, blue and green. I can't see the green but the blue looks similar to mine. I bid on it but it went for $122.00 which is more than I'm used to bidding on eBay so somebody wanted it quite badly.

Richard, or Deborah, if you're around, have you seen one like the one on eBay?

David

langhaugh

Back to top Go down

Chalet or czech? Empty whole line like this

Post  deborah Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi David,

There is a whole line like this - thinner glass, modern. I have several pieces - one in the green shop pages and will post here and a few at the exhibit which I don't have pictures of - David I have this exact bowl there. All of the pieces of this line that I have are signed - with the exception of the small stretch here. Looks like they did in blue, blue and green and amber. I will take some "non pro" pics as soon as I get them unpacked and send to you. Stunning glass - love the look!

This is why I'm going Lorraine for the piece that you have in the blue/green. I have a piece from that Lorraine line in green/amber and very similar to Chalet's but thicker glass and lines not quite so clean. Again - very Swedish/Danish looking - like I said, will send you pics asap!

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  langhaugh Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks, Deborah. I confess that I missed your original reply so sorry for ignoring the original Lorraine possibility. Lorraine does seem like a possibility. The two Lorraine pieces I have are quite Scandinavian, modelled on Kedelv's Coquille line for Flygsfors, so Lorraine does make sense. I'm off to compare now.

Thanks again, Deborah and Richard.

langhaugh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down