Chalet Vintage Collectors Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Piece Lorraine Vase

2 posters

Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty New Piece Lorraine Vase

Post  CapitalArt Glass Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi everyone here is a cool vase my buddy gave me today :)looks nice with the chalet twist vase, until I put it next to the orange one today
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty gorgeous Lorraine piece

Post  deborah Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Hey,

Love the vase - take a look at the colour placement:) Chalet and Lorraine did opposites. They did this style in a "mini" version as well which is to die for.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty vase

Post  CapitalArt Glass Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi again thanks for having a look now I see what you mean one is green to blue and the other is the opposite good eye I didn't catch that
Who made the mini version ???

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty minis

Post  deborah Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Hey,

Lorraine actually had a production line of minis - I have the catalogue page. Whereas Chalet's "picolli" pieces (little ones) were made at end of day to use up colour and crystal. I have an EDAG stickered piece which is also a mini so they did small pieces too but I have no idea if that was a common practice for them. Have a picture coming from my photographer, had a photo shoot in February, of a Chalet picolli, and my EDAG piece and one of the production piece Lorraine minis. Will post it here when I get it.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Mini pieces

Post  CapitalArt Glass Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Ok that's great can't wait to see them. Were the Lorraine minis like the chalet picollis ?

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Re: New Piece Lorraine Vase

Post  deborah Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi again,

Lorraine minis were versions of their larger production pieces - the catalogue page on which they are featured is part of a catalogue showing many other production pieces - not a special edition. Chalet minis were much more fanciful and very rarely were just smaller versions of production pieces. However, I have had a Chalet crossed fingers, cigar bowl and a basket that were just smaller versions of the typical Chalet pieces and am posting pics here of them. The artists told me that very often they were made for wives or girlfriends and were "pretty little dust catchers" in their words. Often not signed as they were "under the coat pieces" - again their words. If you do find a small marked Chalet picolli - obviously the artist did not covet it and it went to the first floor for marking.

Deborah

Last edited by deborah on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling error corrected)
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Pictures

Post  CapitalArt Glass Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Love the pictures
The cross arm one's look great together how big are they ?

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

Post  deborah Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi,

sorry - don't have either piece anymore. But I would say the blue was typical at about 19 inches while the cranberry would have been about 12 inches - significantly smaller. When you see the cranberry used for the heavy leaded pieces - again, an end of day piece. The artists were absolutely amazed when I told them that these pieces are so sought after and command such high prices as they were considered and marketed as seconds by Chalet.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Cranberry

Post  CapitalArt Glass Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Sorry a bit lost lol
Cranberry pieces were made at the end of the day ?
And were all picollis signed ? no right

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

Post  deborah Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Hey,

The molded production cranberry pieces - the "Canadiana Cranberry Glass" line were production glass. The heavy freeform stretch cranberry pieces were not production pieces and were made, like picolli pieces, to use up colour and crystal.

All picolli were not signed - depending on whether or not it "went home" with an artist or was turned in to become part of inventory.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Info

Post  CapitalArt Glass Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 pm

Ok got you now I didn't know that the large cranberry pieces were end of day thanks for the info love knowledge

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

Post  deborah Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:08 pm

Hey,

I was so lucky to spend time with the artists doing the exhibit and my books. They were generous and thrilled that there was so much interest in what they had done. I just wish that I had been a "professional interviewer" as so much that I learned did not occur through "question and answer" sessions but through just spending time with them.

For example - the day that I took them for their studio shots in Cornwall for "The Shapes and Colours of Chalet Art Glass", I had arranged to also pick up a "pink" free form long arm stretch from a New York e-bay seller that was visiting her aunt in a Cornwall nursing home. Anyways, I happened to mention how much my daughter loved 'pink" Chalet. They looked at each other and said "Chalet didn't do pink." I said "Yes they did - I have a signed piece in my car." They responded "No you don't" so I went out and got it. When they saw it, they shrugged and said "That's just a cranberry second." Finding out that "purple" Chalet pieces were a bugger up happened much the same way with them.

Like I said - they were amazing. Not only with sharing stories but with the pricing they gave me, the pictures and the catalogue pages. I was so happy to include them in the books. So little concrete knowledge about Chalet - was so thrilled to spread it around.

Here is that "pink" stretch

Deborah

deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Second

Post  CapitalArt Glass Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 am

Its great that you share and have learned about Chalet to teach others, I thank you for that:)
By saying "Seconds " was that also end of day pieces ?

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty "End of Day"/seconds/end of day

Post  deborah Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:59 am

Hi,

Chalet had a dedicated "End of Day" line - not made from slag glass but from opaline and cranberry. I do not know why they called it this as is certainly deceptive given what the term usually means with regard to pottery and glass.

"Seconds, in Chalet terminology, means glass that was not up to par just like the industry standard. I have a couple "seconds" - a whale without eye indents, a crystal owl that has a distinct yellow cast from too much lead, a factory repaired piece.............................

Many of the pieces that they made literally at the "end of day" were even nicer than the Chalet standard as they were given a bit of lee way and could be more creative. Hence - many of the piccolo.

Here is a grouping from the "End of Day" line. You can see the hang tag on the pitcher.:

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Info

Post  CapitalArt Glass Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Ok I understand like the clear piece I posted you said it might be a second.

I have one piece of the End of day line

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

Post  deborah Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi,

Good score - that is a super rare marking to have found! I think it's about the 3rd one I've seen - a forum member Thumper (Bob) has a piece with that hang tag and then I have the pitcher but am not sure if I have seen others than that.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Piece Lorraine Vase  Empty Hand Tag

Post  CapitalArt Glass Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 pm

I know it was rare cause I have read about it on the site. When I seen it in the store I was so happy to have found it.
Thanks again have a good day

CapitalArt Glass

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down