Chalet Vintage Collectors Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cwms Family Glass Collection

4 posters

Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty The Cwms Family Glass Collection

Post  cwms Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:50 pm

We began the odyssey of photographing our collection today. I'd say we currently have about 30% of our glass up in the Photobucket gallery.
I really liked the coloured light shadows cast by many of the pieces.
Enjoy!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by cwms on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to modify link)

cwms

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Wow

Post  Dar Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Wow nice collection CWM Thanks for sharing looking forward to seeing the rest. I am addicted to the neet shapes Chalet made. Nice to see others. Dar
Dar
Dar

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Thanks!

Post  cwms Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 am

Thank you, Dar!
I added more to the album just now, and modified the album title as it's not all Chalet, there is also Giovanni, Lorraine and Chantilli in there as well.

cwms

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Re: The Cwms Family Glass Collection

Post  Dar Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Wow my heart skipped a beat when I seen a few of your pieces. Which one is Giovanni I have 1 Giovanni but know not a thing about him Do you know anything about Giovanni Creations? I think you have a few Lorraine and Murano as well. I also collect a little of it all, if I love it its mine lol. My friend collects only Chalet but she does have a few Lorraine in with them she just can't part with them they are just as nice ( some pieces) as Chalet. Happy Thanksgiving Dar
Dar
Dar

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Simply spectacular colletion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  deborah Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi,

My goodness you have amazing glass - just incredible. I would love to see it in your home - must be fantastic!. Gorgeous colours and really unusual shapes! I have quite a few of the same pieces - some the same colour but others different - that is so neat to see. Especially the orange piece with the twisted ends and stickered -I have that piece in amber. It is outstanding in orange! Thank you so much for putting them up - it is an absolute pleasure to see such gorgeous pieces.
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty 79 pieces

Post  cwms Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Well, they are all up there now!
We only skipped a couple of pieces we felt were entirely unworthy.
The stickered Giovanni piece is in picture 58 and 59, Dar.
It was from my mother, and I think she picked it up at a rummage sale. I have no idea as to the history of Giovanni glass either. We suspect the blue piece in picture # 12 to be by the same maker as the blues are identical.
our first piece was the orange swirl bowl in pic. 20. My grandmother used to keep plastic grapes in it. It was an anniversary gift from one of her sisters.
Our most recently acquired piece is the green stretch bowl in pic. 31. I won that yesterday in an auction at the Salvation Army here in town.
Thanks for looking!

cwms

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Collection

Post  deborah Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi again,

The number 20 piece is the one I have in amber - so cool that it was your Mom's! The maple leaf (19) is the limited edition piece done for Expo - never seen it in multi coloured sommerso before. Beautiful!

I wish we knew re Giovanni - giovanni voltalino is still alive and blowing glass but Giovanni Botaro is deceased. We will be trying to narrow this down in the near future as were told that Giovanni was a former chalet worker and used to show in area malls.

Mario - do you have more infor here?

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  langhaugh Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:25 am

Wonderful collection. Thanks for sharing. I believe you have one piece of Skrdlovice from Czechoslovakia in there. I tried to leave a message on Facebook but I'm not sure it got through. Contact me if you want details.

David

langhaugh

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Czechoslovakian piece?

Post  cwms Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:01 am

Really, David?
How odd- I was pretty sure they were all Canadian except for the Murano bowl.
Which one do you think it is?
It's so wonderful to be able to share our collection this way!

cwms

Back to top Go down

Post  langhaugh Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:41 pm

It's the ashtray on the bottom of page 1, image 40 of 84. I have a bowl from the same series. I can't seem to figure out how you add an attachment here, so I'll provide a link to the image on Picasa. It's a top view, which doesn't help much, but if you want I can send you some side views.

I collect a little Chalet but quite a lot of Czech, much of which has been sold to me as Chalet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

David

langhaugh

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty not etched

Post  cwms Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:18 am

You are quite likely right, David.
That piece isn't etched. We picked it up at a flea market in Edmonton because it glowed incredibly under the blacklight.
when I looked though our collection pictures last night it occured to me there are actually a few I am uncertain about.
Thanks for adding clarity!
Brenda

cwms

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Do we know anything more?

Post  cwms Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Do we know anymore of the Giovanni stickers yet, Deborah? Anyone?

cwms

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty boutique marking

Post  deborah Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:34 am

Hi,

When I was putting on the exhibit I had thought that "Giovanni" could have been a Chalet artist - there were 2 at Chalet with that name. I talked to the artists and "No". One artist, Giovanni Botaro, is dead and the other, Maestro Giovanni Voltalina is alive and well and still blowing glass in Merrickville.

To put in a nutshell - this is a boutique label that is found on Lorraine Glass Industries pieces. For more detailed info - check out the "Similar yet Different" pages on main site or in the revised 2012 "Chalet Marks, Labels and Product Lines" reference book. It covers this, Canada Art, Lorraine, EDAG, Rossi, AltaGlass etc in as much detail as available as well as all the Chalet brandings and distributors.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Thanks!

Post  cwms Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:18 am

Um, yes, I have that book, Deborah...
I guess it might serve me well to read it, hmm?
Thanks!
Brenda

cwms

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty saw your Chalet "ghost" today

Post  deborah Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:57 pm

hi again,

Was out and about today and I saw your Chalet "ghost" - stickered not signed. I was really surprised at how big it is (height). I had pictured it much smaller.

This one was about 6 inches tall - not particularly heavy. How tall and heavy is yours?

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Not a 'Ghost' *pouting*!

Post  cwms Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 pm

We are pretty sure it's an 'Ookpik' or stylized Inuit owl.
If you Google images you will see others.
It is 6" tall and weighs exactly 2.5 pounds.
Ours is etched and has a beak.

Where was the one you saw?

cwms

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty think you are right

Post  deborah Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi,

I agree re the stylized Innuit owl - much better description.

Saw the one today in a tiny little store down here. I did not measure it. It was a 2 tone like yours and height sounds same. I could be off re weight. It had partial sticker on back - not signed. Good condition. Very cool little piece. I think I will be going back for it.

Deborah

deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Cwms Family Glass Collection Empty Get it!

Post  cwms Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:16 pm

If they don't want an arm and a leg for it, I'd pick it up for sure!

cwms

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down