Chalet Vintage Collectors Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello everyone... New member

4 posters

Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty Hello everyone... New member

Post  Robin T Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello everone. My name is Robin and I live in For Saskatchewan and I collect Chalet glass. I have 100 pieces almost everyone is different. I guess that since every piece is hand made every piece has to be different. I'm trying to post some pictures of my rarest piece. It's a bird on an ashtray. In all my years collecting I've never seen a bird or an animial on a bowl / ashtray. It has 2 marks both acid. One is the regular Chalet and the other is an E. (Deborah informed me that the E means it was sold in and Eatons store.) It has silver flakes in the glass but if you look at them from the top they appear gold. The asktray portion has a slight yellow color which is why the flakes appear gold. I'm trying to attach phots but I can't seem to be able to figure out how to do it.
I'd love to hear your comments.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by deborah on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Deborah was able to attach Robin's pics)

Robin T

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty Hi, welcome and pics

Post  deborah Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi there,

So pleased to welcome you! Can't wait to see the ashtray again!

Here's how to post pics - go up to the icon bar above and click on "Host an Image". Hit the browse button to attach your pic and then hit "Host It'. Sometimes it takes a while for the next steps to load - then hit the "Copy" button under the "Image" line. A box will pop up re allowing access to your clip board - allow access and then copy it from the box right into this message box - hard the first time and then it gets easier. If you still can't do it, do you want me to copy over into your first message the pic you sent me? I think I can get it from my e-mail.

Just wait everyone until you see this piece - it is truly incredible!

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty able to post pics for you

Post  deborah Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Robin,

I was able to post the pics of the ashtray you sent - it is one of the most unique Chalet peices I have ever seen. And for several reasons - I have never seen anything other than a leaf/stem attached to an ashtray before - I have attached a pic of what I mean. I have never seen silver used in anything other than an animal. Furthermore, in the fruit pieces where gold was used, the gold is usually limited to the leaf and stem.And I have never, ever seen an Eaton piece that wasn't the basket, the "fish" or finger cigar bowl or the centerpiece. So new to me in every way. Very, very Italian! Thank you so much for sharing. Can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty weight

Post  deborah Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi again Robin,

Can you also tell us the height, weight and diameter. Bet it is a hefty piece.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty astonishing

Post  treckers Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 am

Hello Robin,

I must say I agree with Deborah - astonishing piece and I too have never seen any other Chalet like this. How high does the bird figure sit? And could you please tell us where you found it and how long ago.

Thank you.

Will

treckers

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty We also have the bird on ashtray

Post  Wildrose57 Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:50 pm

Hello to a fellow Albertan. We live in Calgary and have been collecting Chalet since 2005. It was interesting to see the bird on the green ashtray, as we also have one, and consider it one of our favourites. It also is marked with both Chalet and the <E> for Eatons. We found ours at an antique show in Canmore Alberta in February 2006. Our bird is not as blue as the one in your pictures - ours is mostly blue just in the head. It also seems to have its head turned a little more to the side. We will post pictures of ours as well so you can compare

Last edited by Wildrose57 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pictures)

Wildrose57

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty interesting geography of pieces

Post  deborah Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi again Robin and nice to hear from you Wild Rose,

You Westerners are really rubbing our noses in itLOL. Seriously - very interesting to see that both these very rare pieces are in the same area. I will see if the glass artists know anything about Eaton's distribution - Maestro Panizzon might as he paid close attention to alot of things away from the production line and hence is very informed. Willl take me a few weeks.

Wild Rose - will post the details re weight etc when you post - thanks.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty OMG

Post  deborah Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:14 pm

hi Wild Rose,

Your pics came through as I was sending the request re dimensions - they are incredible! What a stunning stunning piece of Chalet. Added to my "hunt" list.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty Dimensions and weight

Post  Wildrose57 Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:46 pm

You asked for dimensions and weight for our ashtray. On my kitchen scale it weighs 6 lb. and 12 1/2 ounces. The ashtray is about 9 inches across and 3 1/2 inches high. The bird's tail is 5 3/4 inches from the table at it's height. The bird is 4 3/4 inches long from tail to head - it would be a bit longer if the head was facing forward, but it is tipped to the side a bit.
There are gold flecks in the bird as well as the ashtray. Most of our bird is clear, with a bit of blueish purple coloring on the head. I also like the blue bird of the other ashtray!

Wildrose57

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty incredible casing

Post  deborah Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi Wildrose,

That is a heavily cased piece! Quite substantial in diameter too - I compared it to the avventuria apple one I posted in this topic re weight and diameter (terrible at picturing dimensions) and yours 2 inches wider and 2 lbs heavier so quite a notable difference in size.

Again - stunning pieces you and Robin have and if I can get any infofrom the glass artsits as to why both in that neck of the country - will definitely post.

Appreciate the info. Envy you both the pieces!

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty some answers re the bird ashtray from the Maestri

Post  deborah Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi guys,

Well - I spent yesterday afternoon with the artists and asked them re this piece as requested. They remembered it very well as it was not a production run and in fact Vivian Guarnieri had asked Gianfranco to see if they all could do something different in a down time as she wanted something special for her father. So this piece was created - they also did it in orange. It was a one time only run and very few were made. So you both have something very special - Vivian unfortunately broke theirs. Anyways, re the distribution, they have no knowledge re the Eatons connection but it could have been that the buyer for Eatons saw them or Angelo Tedesco directed attention to them. Or it simply could have been a coincidence. However, we do know now that it was not a special piece made for or commissioned by Eatons.

Re the copious amount of gold in the piece - they reminded me that we are looking at Chalet pieces with gold through today's eyes re the value and thusly giving it special value or importance that such use of gold today would imply. Back then, gold and silver was much, much cheaper so they said it really was not an indicator that pieces were necessarily done for some special reason. A point very well taken and something to remember.

They were charmed to hear about it and it brought back a flood of memories at the table - I didn't even need to show them the forum pics (did later) then as they all jumped on the description as soon as I mentionned the bird on the lip of the piece. And they send their bemusemnet re the pieces surviving and you both having them in the same area. If you ever find another - especially in orange, send it East!

I will also post this under a new topic to make sure that you see it.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone... New member Empty Re: Hello everyone... New member

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down