Chalet Vintage Collectors Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chalet fruit

2 posters

Go down

Chalet fruit Empty Chalet fruit

Post  AnnieB Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:41 am

Hello Deborah and everyone,

On pages 52 &53 of the Shapes & Colours book are Chalet fruit. Do you have anymore information? I had seen the cranberry apples before but the other ones are really special. I have never seen any of those- I do see realy cased looking ones at fleamarkets but they were obviously not Chalet - who would they be done by? Does anyone else have any Chalet fruit.

Oh - happy 2012 fellow Chalet lovers!

Annieb

AnnieB

Back to top Go down

Chalet fruit Empty re Chalet fruit

Post  deborah Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi AnnieB,

The most common fruit that Chalet made were apples. There were 3 different types - the cranberry (mouth blown), the crystal for Riekes (mouth blown) and the coloured sommerso that was usually accompanied by a coloured sommerso pear. Supposedly the cranberry and the crystal apples are MacIntosh - made as a tribute to the Cornwall area which was where this apple was introduced in Canada from Scotland.

Chalet also made sommerso bananas and mouth blown lemons and oranges which were "a ghiaccio" - given a crackled finish by being immersed in ice cold water while still hot. Very few bananas, lemons and oranges were done. I was able to show a sommerso banana and a lemon (both given to me by Maestro Gatto:D) in the book as well as a cranberry and crystal apple and a sommerso apple and pear set by Gianfranco - made for his father-in-law. There is a cranberry apple on the site in the Shop pages and I will soon be listing a sommerso pear - after upcoming photo shoot. However, I have never seen a Chalet orange:( so obviously on the "hunt" list!

The cranberry apples, lemon, bananas, oranges, and sommerso pear and sommerso apple when sold separately were all given the same catalogue number - #544. When the pear and apple were sold as a set, they were given the catalogue number #540. The mouth blown crystal apple for Riekes was given the Riekes Chalet (see listing on site in Shop pages) black label.

The sommerso apples and pears were done in amber, green, blue and red.

Lorraine did do fruit as well - their 2 tone sommerso apples (blue/green) could very easily be mistaken for Chalet BUT Chalet DID NOT do 2 tone fruit. Glassman had a Lorraine apple - maybe he still has some pics he could post here for us?

Here are 2 pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps and hopefully Glassman still has his pics so we can see difference.

Deborah
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chalet fruit Empty glassman's apple

Post  deborah Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi AnnieB,

Heard from Glassman - he asked me to post the pic of his Lorraine apple directly here for him as he can't do that from his i-phone. So, with his blessing, doing a cut and paste from his flickr pages. Here is the 2 tone Lorraine apple:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The first time Glassman posted this pic, we didn't know if this was Chalet or Lorraine, so took it to the Chalet artists. They said not only positively Lorraine - Maestro Gatto did these all the time so this apple very well could actually be a piece of his work from his time at Lorraine before he left Montreal for Mosaic and then Chalet in Cornwall:)

Deborah

Last edited by deborah on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
deborah
deborah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chalet fruit Empty Re: Chalet fruit

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down